ISO 27001 (also known as ISO/IEC 27001 – Information Technology) is a leading information security certification related to an organisations processes and data controls for the security of crucial and complex information systems.
As well as protecting your data from external threats, the certification has three main information security objectives, ensuring:
- Only authorised users can access information
- Only authorised users can change and share information
- Your information is securely accessible by authorised users
The ISO 27001 certification follows a rigid framework – which includes policies, processes and data controls – and is subjected to regular quality checks as well as independent audits.
To become an ISO 27001-certified organisation, a company must prove high safeguard levels are in place for customer, partner and company data. This includes:
- Proving potential damages are mitigated
- Security breaches are unlikely
- Potential threats are down and eliminated in their early stages